Friday, January 7, 2011

Zippers

Zippers are kind of like football place-kickers: you only really think about them when they don't do their job.  Don't you hate it when the zipper on your coat starts splitting apart halfway up?  Or when that pull-tab thingy breaks off? (What's that thing called anyway?)

But today was an oddity: nothing was wrong with the zipper on my new jeans (aka my "fly") but I noticed that the pull-tab was much larger than on my other jeans - like it should have been on a military-grade tent.  I looked down and noticed that it said "YKK."  This made me wonder - who is this YKK fella?

And, after hours of mind-numbing research (okay, a two-second search on Wikipedia), I discovered that YKK is a huge corporation that makes most of the world's zippers, as well as other fasteners.  And architectural products.  (I know - weird combo, huh?)  In fact, they have zipper factories all over the planet, including the largest zipper plant in the galaxy (employing 900 people in Georgia).

So, while I'm assuming they're not popular with the Amish, I gained a new appreciation for YKK.  Because let's face it: where would we be without zippers?  (I have one pair of trendy button fly pants from A & F, any they're horrible at keeping the South Dakota wind out of the old britches.)

Anyway, this discovery made me curious.  Who are other people (or entities) do incredible things without being noticed by most people?

OK, here's my question for you:  do you know any individual, company, church or other organization who does a lot of good without a lot of publicity?

2 comments:

  1. Do "zipper" company publicize to companies that use them? Would "YKK" be the size they are if they didn't publicize to the right market?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To answer your question: In Saipan we have a radio station that evangelizes to the far east hence their name Far East Broadcasting Company. They do a lot of work behind the scenes that many in America don't realize. They have thousands of people listening to their music and talk radio in Russia, Mongolia, India etc... they broadcast by short wave radio (why it is called short wave...beats me). They only employ a few people but reach thousands and soon it may disappear as times are changing from radio to internet and without funding it may lose its ability to reach those in the East. But that won't be for at least a few more years probably... I hope. Grant Fifield

    ReplyDelete